- 1 1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 2 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups cooked or 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons sliced pickled jalapeños
- (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, well drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup raw cashews, soaked 3 hours or overnight
- 3/4 cup hot vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Combine the quinoa and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add salt to taste, cover, and cook for 25 minutes. Stir in the beans and scallions, and cook until the quinoa is tender, about 5 minutes longer. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Stir in the jalapeños, tomatoes, and cilantro and remove from the heat. Set aside covered to keep warm.
- While the quinoa is cooking, make the sauce. Drain the cashews and transfer to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add the hot broth and process until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining ingredients and process until very smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- To serve, divide the quinoa mixture among shallow bowls and top each serving with some of the sauce.
Vegan food is yummy!